Are you motivated to give support to asylum seekers and do you speak English or French, Arabic, Dari/Farsi or Russian? Then you are the volunteer we need!
At Startpunt of the Flemish Refugee Action (Vluchtelingenwerk Vlaanderen), we welcome newly arrived asylum seekers with soup on the day they apply for asylum. We provide them with basic information about the asylum procedure and their rights in Belgium. As a volunteer in Startpunt, you work together with a diverse group of volunteers and a staff member of Vluchtelingenwerk.
We are currently looking for information volunteers who speak English, French, Arabic, Farsi/Dari, Russian or Albanian to provide information to asylum seekers.
- You give basic information about the asylum procedure to newly arrived asylum seekers;
- You refer asylum seekers to other social services in Brussels when needed;
- You help other volunteers when needed, logistic tasks included.
COMPETENCES & SKILLS
- You fluently speak Dutch, French or English and one of the following languages: Arabic, Farsi/Dari, Russian or Albanian;
- You want to learn more about the asylum procedure;
- You are social and at ease with people of other cultural backgrounds;
- You are open-minded;
- You are empathic and a good listener;
- You are a team player.
You are available once a week on a working day between 11:45 am – 1.15 pm
Startpunt - Antwerpsesteenweg 34 -1000 Brussels (on a walking distance from North station)
- Voluntary work with learning opportunities;
- A social engagement in an exciting work environment;
- Training on asylum law related subjects (basic information on the asylum procedure, on Dublin…);
- Volunteer insurance;
- On request: public transport costs (with some restrictions);
You will be invited for a first introduction session on Thursday 20th of September 2018 2 - 4.30 pm @ Startpunt.
WHAT IS VLUCHTELINGENWERK?
Flemish Refugee Action supports people who have fled war and persecution. We don't do this alone as we have as a platform thirty member organizations and a pool of enthusiastic volunteers. We put pressure on policy makers and raise awareness among the general public. We are also active in the domain of integration of refugees. We support third parties that assist asylum seekers and refugees.
We strive for protection for asylum seekers and refugees. Our guiding principles are the Refugee Convention, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights.