ESC volunteer Startpunt (communication)
Are you the new colleague we are looking for?
- Younger than 31 years old?
- A refugee (refugee status or subsidiary protection)?
- Living in Belgium?
- Passionate about all kinds of communication?
Than you might be the person we are looking for!
We are looking for a volunteer to work on the communication about our Startpunt project. Startpunt is a team of volunteers from diverse backgrounds who work in the field every day, providing information to asylum seekers and refugees. In the context of the current reception crisis, Startpunt volunteers also give information on a daily basis to asylum seekers who are refused reception by the Belgian government and are thus staying in the streets. They orient them towards a lawyer and humanitarian aid.
The communication volunteer will share the activities, testimonies and results of the Startpunt team and their work. It will make the Startpunt results visible for a broader public and inform the public on asylum related issues. The volunteer will also work on communication about the people we meet during our work: through portraits and testimonies, the volunteer will make the lives of asylum seekers and refugees more visible and known to the Belgian public.
Concretely, your job will include the following activities:
- Field work at the arrival centre with the Startpunt team;
- Coordinate the collection of testimonies of asylum seekers;
- Editing of activities, testimonies and project results on the website;
- Make presentations of the Startpunt activities and content;
- Update of website content;
- Assist in the production of advertisements, campaigns, press releases, and promotional materials;
- Short video content and editing.
The profile we are looking for
- Good knowledge of Dutch in addition to English;
- Writing and editing skills;
- Eager to learn more about all aspects of communication (social media; video editing, campaigning, …);
- Good listener and intercultural communication skills;
- Understanding of / interest in the role of civil society in migration issues;
- Stress resistant;
- Team player;
- Planning and organisational skills.
What we offer you
- an interesting job in a nice work atmosphere with a diverse team of enthusiastic colleagues;
- flexible working hours respectful of your work/life balance;
- good assistance and many learning and networking opportunities;
- a volunteer contract of 1 year in the context of the European Solidarity Corps (see below);
- reimbursement of your transport costs;
- the materials needed to perform your function: laptop and work phone.
About the European Solidarity Corps
The European Solidarity Corps is a program of the European Union, that aims at offering youngsters in Europe an inspiring and empowering experience, as well as the chance to bring change while developing your skills and competences.
As a volunteer of the European Solidarity Corps, you will get a fixed volunteer reimbursement that is meant to cover your living expenses (accommodation cost, food allowance, individual support).
For more information: @email
For sending your CV and motivation letter: @email
E-mail subject: Name + “Information candidate”
Closing date: Tuesday 14 February, 12 pm (midnight)
Contract period: February 2023 – January 2024